Are you looking for an affordable way to explore the ancient city of Athens? Look no further! This Athens Travel Guide will give you the information you need to plan your perfect budget-friendly getaway. From finding cheap flights and accommodations to exploring iconic landmarks, this guide will help you make the most of your trip while keeping your costs low. So, let’s start planning your exciting journey to Athens!
Here are some important travel guides to visit Athens in the best way:
Where to Stay in Athens
Are you looking for the best way to visit Athens on a budget? Look no further! Our Travel Guide to Athens has got you covered.
Here are some of the top affordable hotels in Athens to help you get started with planning your trip:
1. Hotel Thissio: This 3-star hotel is located in the heart of the city and is only a few minutes away from the Acropolis. It offers air-conditioned rooms, an outdoor pool, a restaurant and a bar, making it an ideal option for travelers looking for a comfortable stay in Athens.
2. AVA Hotel: This 4-star hotel is located near the Acropolis and offers spacious rooms equipped with all the modern amenities, a swimming pool, a restaurant, and free Wi-Fi access. The hotel also provides free shuttle services to nearby attractions.
3. Hotel Amalia: Located in the historic district of Plaka, this 4-star hotel is one of the most popular choices for travelers looking for a luxurious stay in Athens. It features modern rooms with free Wi-Fi access, a breakfast buffet, and a rooftop pool with amazing views of the Acropolis.
4. Adonis Hotel: This budget-friendly hotel is located in the lively district of Monastiraki and offers air-conditioned rooms with free Wi-Fi access, a restaurant and a bar, and an outdoor pool with breathtaking views of the Parthenon.
These are just a few of the top affordable hotels that are recommended. You can also book some other hotels from here with discount:
What to See and Do in Athens
Traveling to Athens is a unique experience that should be noticed. As the capital of Greece, the city offers a variety of sights and attractions. One of the most iconic places to visit in Athens is the Acropolis, located atop a hill overlooking the town. This ancient monument has been around since the 5th century BC, and it’s home to the Parthenon, the Temple of Athena Nike, and other significant archaeological sites. It’s also one of Europe’s most visited tourist attractions and a must-see destination for travelers.
Visiting the Acropolis is a fascinating historical experience and a great way to take in breathtaking views of the city. You can also get an up-close look at the ancient ruins, some of which have been partially reconstructed. Make sure to bring comfortable shoes and sunscreen, as there are plenty of steps to climb, and the sun can be intense.
Book your tour with entry ticket and audio guide:
There are many other places to explore in Athens, such as the Ancient Agora, the Roman Agora, and Syntagma Square. Visiting these areas will give you an understanding of the city’s history and culture. Additionally, there are numerous churches and museums that you can visit to learn more about Greek history. Remember to stroll around Plaka, an old town filled with shops and restaurants that provide a perfect atmosphere for exploration.
The Theatre of Dionysus is another must-see place in Athens. This theatre is said to be the birthplace of Greek theatre, and it was used for festivals and performances dedicated to the god Dionysus. There are even several ancient Greek plays that were first performed at this site! If you’re looking for an unforgettable experience, visiting the Theatre of Dionysus is a good choice.
From its ancient monuments to its vibrant culture, Athens is an unforgettable destination that should not be missed.
How to Get Around Athens
Visiting Athens is a great way to explore a city rich in history and culture. But getting around Athens can be challenging, especially if you’re on a budget. Fortunately, plenty of affordable transportation options are available to make your trip more convenient and cost-effective.
The public transportation system is the most popular way to get around. The metro system is easy to use and reliable, with three lines running throughout the city and its suburbs. There are also bus lines and tram services, though they may be more challenging to navigate for visitors unfamiliar with the city.
Taxis are also available throughout Athens, though they can be expensive. To save money, you can use the Ktel network of buses, which covers most of the Attica region. This network is cheaper than the taxi, though the schedules may only sometimes be reliable.
If you’re looking for an even more economical option, consider renting a bike or scooter. Biking is an environmentally friendly way to explore the city, and there are plenty of bike rental shops. Scooters can also be rented for a low price, though you should always wear a helmet and follow the road rules.
Finally, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can always hop on one of the golf cart taxis that roam the streets of Athens. These golf carts offer a cheap way to get around town, though they are only sometimes the most reliable form of transportation.
No matter your transportation, getting around Athens is a great way to explore the city without breaking the bank. With some planning and knowledge of the local transportation system, you can enjoy a lot!
Eating and Drinking in Athens
Athens is full of delicious food and drink options. You will be satisfied with the selection from traditional Greek dishes to modern takes on classic favorites. Many restaurants, including moussaka, tzatziki, and spanakopita, specialize in conventional Greek words. Try some conventional Greek wines and ouzo to complement your meal! For those looking for something more international, there are plenty of restaurants serving Italian, Chinese, and other cuisines.
Every visit to Athens is complete with trying some delicious street food.
Gyros, souvlaki, and bougatsa are all popular choices. While exploring the city, take advantage of the numerous cafes offering traditional Greek coffees, such as frappé or frappe. And, of course, don’t forget to pick up a frappe ice cream cone for a refreshing treat!
For drinks, Athens has a lively nightlife scene with plenty of bars and clubs. Whether you prefer beer, wine, or cocktails, there’s something for everyone. If you’re looking for an authentic experience, you can go right with ouzo or tsipouro. Or, if you prefer a more laid-back atmosphere, grab a beer at one of the many beer gardens or rooftop bars scattered throughout the city.
No matter your tastes, you’ll find something delicious in Athens! So be sure to explore all that the city has to offer and savor all the flavors that it has to offer.
Shopping in Athens
Athens is one of the oldest cities in the world and has been an important cultural center for centuries. As such, it is home to countless historic sites and attractions and a thriving shopping scene.
Here are a few tips for shopping in Athens on a budget:
1. Take advantage of the city’s many street and flea markets. This is a great way to find unique souvenirs and handmade items at reasonable prices. Many vendors also sell fresh fruits, vegetables, and other food items.
2. Visit thrift stores and second-hand shops. There are many of these throughout the city, and they offer an excellent opportunity to find great deals on clothes and accessories.
3. Take a walking tour of the city’s shopping districts. Several companies offer these tours, and they will take you to some of the most popular shopping spots in Athens.
4. Shop online. Many of the larger department stores have online stores, and you can often find better prices than you would in the store itself. Be sure to check out shipping policies before making your purchase.
5. Explore local artisan shops. There are many small shops scattered throughout the city that offer unique items crafted by local artisans. You can find everything from handmade jewelry to pottery and ceramics.
No matter how you shop in Athens, you’ll surely find something special to take home. These tips allow you to explore the city’s vibrant shopping scene without breaking the bank!
Tips and tricks when you visit Athens
Visiting Athens on a budget doesn’t mean you have to miss out on all the fantastic things this city offers. With some savvy planning, you can experience the best of Athens for less. Here are some tips and tricks for enjoying Athens on a budget:
1. Go during the offseason: Visit Athens during its off-season (November to March) to get the best deals on flights, accommodation, and activities. During this time, you’ll find more affordable prices without sacrificing the quality of your experience.
2. Travel by public transport: Using the efficient and affordable public transportation system to get around Athens. A 1-day ticket costs only €4, while a 3-day ticket is €9. This will help you save money on transportation costs throughout your trip.
3. Take advantage of free activities: Many of Athens’ attractions are free, such as visiting Acropolis Hill or taking a stroll through National Garden. There are also many free cultural events and festivals throughout the year.
4. Look for discounted tickets: If you plan to visit paid attractions like museums or galleries, look for discounts and special offers when you buy tickets online. Group discounts are also available, so consider traveling with friends or family to save even more money.
5. Eat like a local: Eating out in Athens can be expensive. However, there are plenty of affordable places that serve delicious local dishes. Try street food such as souvlaki or gyros, as well as local cafes and bakeries where you can find freshly baked goods.
With these tips, you can visit Athens on a budget and still have an incredible experience. So start planning your trip today!